Tuesday, June 30, 2009

It Started With A Noodle Kugel


My favorite dog of all time was a Flat Coated Retriever we named Fletcher. I always said "he is the best little boy that ever drew breath." Until he wasn't. Up until he was around 4 years old, I could literally leave a steak within his reach, and he would not touch it. That all changed one day when I made a noodle kugel for a friend of mine who asked me to make one for her. I left it on the counter to cool, and went to pick my son up from school. When we got back to the house, I found my baking dish sitting there empty. There was not one trace of the noodle kugel. Not a noodle, not a raisin, nada. It had been licked as clean as if I had taken it out of the dishwasher. Well, I'm not stupid, I knew who the culprit was, and he didn't look the least bit guilty. I guess he just couldn't resist...no one home...kugel cooling...easy access...go for it! This noodle kugel started a rampage of stealth attacks on food by "my best little boy".

SWEET NOODLE KUGEL

1 16oz. pkg. wide, flat, noodles, cooked and drained
6 eggs, beaten
1 8oz. pkg.cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 lbs. cottage cheese
1 16oz. jar applesauce
1 cup white raisins
1/2 cup sugar
cinnamon to taste
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350*

In large bowl, mix drained noodles with all ingredients except butter. Melt butter in a 9x13 baking dish, add noodle mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer. Let rest 5 minutes, slice and serve.

You can serve this hot or at room temperature. I also like it cold the next day. Fletcher didn't care - he just liked it!

P.S. My friend was really pissed!

No comments: