Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fletcher's Favorite Cookies

O.K. one more Fletcher story...only because he had such good taste.

It was a few days before Christmas. I had spent the entire day baking. One of the things I had made were 6 dozen triple chocolate cookies...my kids faves...and soon to be Fletcher's. After they had cooled, I put them in a large Rubbermaid container on my dresser, in my bedroom (don't ask...I was running out of room) uncovered, until I was sure they were completely cooled. Later that night I was folding laundry on my bed, day dreaming, and my eyes zeroed in on the container.
The EMPTY container. It took a second for this to sink in - I was tired and my brain was refusing to process this news. I ran over to the container for a better look thinking "did I put those cookies somewhere else?" Sadly, the answer was NO. Again, there wasn't a crumb in sight - not in the container, not on the dresser, not on the rug. 6 DOZEN TRIPLE CHOCOLATE COOKIES...GONE! Now, I'm sure you know, chocolate is toxic to dogs. I called my vet and he advised confining him in a room, leaving him water, and unless he started convulsing, wait and see what happens. So...we put him in the laundry room, with a bowl of water and when we woke up the next morning to check on him, nothing seemed amiss. Until I refreshed his water bowl and he started drinking. Well, I don't want to get too graphic here but let's say we had a lot of clean up to do for the next 2 days. Yes, he survived (maybe because he was 90 lbs. and I didn't kill him) and these cookies became known as Fletcher's Favorite... as my son said, trying to console me, "Mom, he really liked them, he ate them all."

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE COOKIES (single recipe - makes 3 dozen)

8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
3 oz. bitter sweet chocolate
6 Tbls. butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs, room temp.
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (or you can substitute same amount quartered Rollo candies...yum!)
optional:
1 cup walnuts (I don't use them - my kids hate nuts)

Preheat oven to 350* line cookie sheets with parchment paper

Melt semi-sweet and bitter- sweet chocolates with butter over low heat until smooth. Cool. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl. Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla together until fluffy (takes about 5 minutes). Add chocolate mixture, then flour mixture. Beat until blended. Stir in chips (or Rollos) and nuts (if using). Drop by tablespoonfuls on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes - the centers should still look soft. Don't over bake. Let pans cool on racks before removing cookies to racks to cool completely.

If you have a dog... guard them with your life!

1 comment:

DKLA said...

Hilarious story! I'll be making these soon! :)