Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Just Pretend It's a Meatball

Over the years I have tried, I don't know, a dozen or so meatloaf recipes. It just seems like such a warm, fuzzy, homey thing to make. I have desperately wanted to like it, but somehow it always falls short of my expectations. But, I love meatballs...mine. So, I decided to adapt my meatball recipe into a meatloaf, and pretend it's a gigantic meatball! Maybe it's psychological, but I have to say, after some experimenting, that I have finally created a recipe for meatloaf that doesn't make me gag... in fact, it's really, really good.


Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground chuck
1 lb. ground pork
1 egg, plus 2 yolks, beaten
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
salt & pepper to taste
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 Tbls. dried Thyme
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup good quality Parmesan cheese
1 Tbls. light brown sugar

Sauce

1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup barbeque sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard

Preheat oven to 350*

Combine all meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl. Shape into a loaf and place into a large baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Combine all sauce ingredients. Uncover meatloaf, cover it with the sauce, and bake for an additional 45 minutes. Remove from oven, let rest for a few minutes, then slice and serve. Easy!

I like to serve it with smashed potatoes and green beans. A perfect dinner for a rainy day.


No comments: