Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mother's Day


The sight and smell of lilacs will always remind me of Mother's Day.

When my children were small, they would go into our yard, early in the morning, to pick lilacs for me. They would bring them in, put them in a glass with water, and "prepare" breakfast for me. This could be anything from toast, to cereal, to frozen waffles. And, yes, sometimes the waffles were still frozen. They would also include a small glass of orange juice and a cup of cold coffee I had left in the pot the night before for just this reason, as they were still too young to make it themselves.

My role was to pretend I was still sleeping as they quietly came up the stairs to surprise me. I would "wake up" to two very proud little boys, the wonderful smell of lilacs, and a breakfast made with love. A perfect Mother's Day.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

We used to do this too, but we didn't have lilac trees. For many years we were convinced that dandilions were my Mom's favorite flower.